-A A +A
Main Switchboard: 01603 257000

Health and Services

There is a range of care and treatment available through the NHS that you may need at some stage in your life.

This could be visiting the dentist, community or mental health support services or a planned procedure in hospital.

If your condition is life threatening and you need medical attention fast call 999 or visit your A&E department. There is an A&E department at the three main (acute) hospitals in Norfolk:

  • Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich ,NR4 7UY, 01603 286286.
  • The Queen Elizabeth Hospital King’s Lynn, Gayton Road, King’s Lynn, PE30 4ET, 01553 613613.
  • James Paget Hospital, Lowestoft Road, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31 6LA, 01493 452452
  • West Suffolk Hospital NHS Trust, Hardwick Lane, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk IP33 2QZ, 01284 713000

If your need is urgent but not life threatening you can call your GP or ring to arrange an appointment. To find a GP in your area click here

Or if your illness cannot wait until the following day and you need attention now you can either ring 111, the new NHS number for urgent and non-urgent healthcare information and advice. You can also visit a Minor Injury Unit or Walk-in centre. For patients in South Norfolk there is a Walk-in centre in Norwich:

  • The Norwich Practices Health Centre in Rouen House, Norwich, open 7 days-a-week, 365-days-of-the-year including public holidays, from 7am to 9pm. You can walk-in without an appointment to see a member of the medical staff. Patients get one hour free parking.

            Contact 01603 677500 or visit the website at: www.norwichwalkincentre.co.uk

There may be times when these services are inevitable, but sometimes it may be possible to care for yourself by treating your ailment at home, or visiting a pharmacist to talk through your issue.

There is a range of out-of-hours pharmacies offering early opening and late night closing to either collect prescriptions or enable you to buy medicine rather than waiting until the next day. You can find out where by calling 111.